Maggots are fly larvae that are small in size. It has white color and they feed for almost 5 days in their initial phase. Maggots belong to Brachycera family that select a suitable place to lay their eggs e.g. rotten meat and fruits, pet food, garbage cans, animal corpses, food items, etc.
No matter how tinny they are, they can cause many health issues for you and your pets. Without proper preventions and tool, it is hard to eradicate them. But luckily, there some natural remedies and preventive methods that can help to kill them completely. In this post, we will discuss some natural remedies that how to get rid of maggots forever. Let’s get into it!
Where Do Maggots Come From?
The fly lays eggs which develop into maggots. Then it turns into flies after the pupal stage. It seems that they come from anywhere but fly maggot lays eggs then maggot produce.
Do Maggots Fly?
A maggot is the larvae of fly maggot and they can’t fly. When the larvae turn into fly maggot then they can fly.
Do Maggots Bite?
The maggots don’t have teeth, so they don’t bite. They have mouth hooks instead of teeth. They are so small in size that you can’t even feel their presence.
What Does a Maggot Looks Like?
The maggots are produced from eggs and they look like pale white worms that are so small in size.
What Do Maggots Do?
Maggots have great importance in the field of medicine and ecology. They have various species and they play a variety of roles. Their role is noticeable in attacking foodstuffs and crops, causing myiasis, recycling decaying flesh and trash, and spreading bacterial infections
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Maggots
The presence of maggot can be an eyesore for you. Here we will discuss some natural remedies that can help you to get rid of maggots.
Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) is an effective way to the eradication of the fly maggots because of its smell. When you pour it on the surface then the fly maggot stuck here. It is considered as the most proven and effective method to control the maggot infestation.
- Take a large container and pour apple cider vinegar in it then heat and use its strong smell to minimize their presence.
- Add a few drops of dish soap in the vinegar and mix it. With the addition of liquid dish soap, this solution becomes stronger and effective.
- Now cover this container with the plastic wrap and make some holes into this container
- Place it where the maggots congregate.
- When it is filled with dead maggots, wash the container and again refill the container.
- You can use white vinegar if you don’t have apple cider vinegar.
- Repeat the process to kill them completely.
Rotten or Overripe Fruit
Overripe or rotten fruit works the same as apple cider vinegar do. Use the rotten fruit to trap the fly maggots.
- Take a large size glass jar and put some pieces of over ripped fruit
- Take a sheet of perforated plastic wrap and cover the jar with it.
- Place this glass jar where the maggots swarm.
- When the jar will be filled with maggots, dip it into a container of soapy water (warm) for 10 minutes to kill them.
- Repeat the procedure as needed
Red wine is also a good remedy when it comes to killing the maggot.
- Take water and red wine and mix them in the ratio 1:3 and pour this solution into a small-sized container.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and place it where the maggot congregate.
- They get drowned into this red wine solution
- When jar will be filled with dead maggots, clean it with soapy water
- Repeat the process as required.
Lemon-Scented Liquid Dish Soap
Lemon-scented liquid soap is an effective solution to kill the maggots because the aroma of lemon attracts them and soap help to kill the maggots.
- Take 4 cups of water and add 2 tbsp. of lemon-scented liquid dish soap in the water and stir.
- Now, pour this solution in the large spray bottle.
- Spray this solution liberally on the infested area to eradicate them.
- Repeat it as needed.
Lemongrass Essential Oil
Essential oils are natural repellent that is used for the preventive measure because of their strong smell. Lemongrass essential oil has also a strong smell that helps to keep the maggots away.
- Take some hot water and add 15 to 20 lemongrass essential oil and mix them.
- Put this mixture in a spray bottle
- Spray this solution around the maggots swarm and on the heavily infested zones.
- Repeat the procedure when necessary.
Milk, Honey, and Pepper
The mixture of milk, honey, and pepper make the perfect solution to eradicate the maggots. Honey and milk attract them into the solution and pepper kill the maggots.
- Take 2 cups of milk and add 4 tbsp. of pepper (ground) and 8 tbsp, of raw honey in it
- Heat the solution for about10 minutes.
- Put the solution where maggots congregate.
- Empty the dish when it will be full of maggots and clean with warm soapy water.
- Repeat as required
Vegetable oil is a great remedy to kill the maggots by trapping them particularly those present in the kitchen sink.
- Pour ¼ cup of the vegetable post to the kitchen drain and close it. Leave it overnight
- Open the drain in the morning and remove the maggots trapped on it.
- Repeat the process as necessary
Honey has a sweet smell and sticky that is used to control the maggot. It attracts them and kills the maggot when they get to stick to the surface.
- Mark a radiantly colored index card with the honey (thin layer).
- Place this index card near the infested area.
- Replace the index card when it gets filled with dead maggots.
- Repeat the process as needed.
Bleach helps to kill the maggots that are found in the kitchen or bathroom sink.
- Pour one cup of bleach into the kitchen or bathroom sink and then put hot boiling water over it.
- Let the bleach to drain dry.
- Repeat the process as required.
Keep Your Kitchen Clean:
If you want to get rid of maggots then make sure your kitchen is clean because it can cause food poisoning when then swarm on food items. It is a preventive measure to eliminate the presence of maggots.
- Wash the dishes after every use
- Always keep dustbins covered.
- Throw out the garbage at night.
- Keep food jars closed.
- Dining room should be clean.
- Keep the kitchen surfaces dry.
Maggot’s infestation is an alarming situation especially if you find them in sensitive areas of your house like the kitchen and bathroom. They are so tiny and nasty that can be the major reason for food poisoning if they swarm on fruits in the kitchen. The above home remedies will help you to fight against maggot swarm. These remedies are proven and have no after-effects. We hope you like our post on how to get rid of maggots. Pick any remedy that suit you best and use it against maggot infestation. Leave a comment and let us know about your experience.